Saturday 6 January 2018

Marc Jacobs VoxBox

I was lucky enough to be picked to receive this months VoxBox from Influenster! I really wasn't expecting to get it because I don't have a large following on social media platforms so I am incredibly humbled to get the opportunity to do this review.
I was kindly gifted the Marc Jacobs Highliner Matte Gel Eye Crayons to review which is what todays blog post is!

I was highly anticipating the arrival of this box as it is my first time ever receiving one. I decided to wait until getting it to find out what would be inside. The box arrived the next day after I found out I would be getting one which was rather quick!




I adored the aesthetic of the box the products came in. My room is black and white so I will be keeping this to store things in as it fits in with my theme beautifully. I'm a bit of a box hoarder...

Inside were two eyeliners. A baby pink in the shade "Pink Of Me" and a dark brown in the shade "Earthquake".




I immediately fell in love with the brown as I have never owned a brown eyeliner but always wanted to try one out. My first impressions of the pink were a little nerve wracking because usually I have to be very careful with pinks due to having a medium skin tone. Sometimes they either don't show up on me or just look very silly. I swatched them on the back of my hand and to my surprise they glided on like butter. For some reason I was expecting them to be hard, but the formula is so creamy and soft, yet the texture is matte and not shiny at all. 



I am extremely impressed with the colour pay off on these. I really like that they're mechanical so I don't have to waste time sharpening them when they get blunt. It makes sense to manufacture them this way because they are so creamy they do run out quite quickly, but a little goes a long way so it can be justified.



I decided to challenge myself and use both of the colours I was provided with. I wouldn't usually think to pair these two colours together but I am all about trying out new things and experimenting with different techniques. Usually I would never use a pencil liner to create a wing because all my other eyeliners are hard and too stiff to glide along the eye, but because this formula was so easy to work with I was able to pull off a soft smokey wing.

To start my makeup I used the Nivea Men Post Shave Balm as my primer for the face.
I then used the Mac Select Cover Up Concealer in Shade "NW15" as my eye primer for an even smooth base.
I powdered my base using the soft yellow shade "Ludwin" in the Kat Von D Shade + Light Pallete.
I created a soft subtle smokey eye using the neutral shades in the Morphe 35T pallete.
Being very careful and taking my time I created the wing with the Marc Jacobs Highliner Gel Crayon in shade "Earthquake" and cleaned up the edges going back in with my Mac concealer. To sharpen the wing even further I picked up some product on my Mac 263 brush and sharpened the edges of my wing ever so slightly. Not too much as I wanted to keep this still soft looking.
I then used the other Marc Jacobs eyeliner in "Pink Of Me" to smoke out my waterline and to add a bright pop of colour.
For brows I used the Mac Fluidline Brow Gel Creme "Shade Deep Dark Brunette" combined with my clean Mac 263 brush for precise lines.
I used the L'Oreal Volume Million Lashes Mascara before adding falsies.
I used a pair of Peaches and Cream lashes to complete the look and this is what I came up with!




For the rest of the face I used my Fenty Foundation in shade " 230"
Ofra Cosmetics Liquid Lipstick in shade "Bel Air"
Kiko Milano Face Makeup Fixer to set my face.


I had a look on the John Lewis website while I was writing my review and these eyeliners I was given retail for £20 each. Being a student I have to budget and save my money wisely, however I do like to spend money on good quality products whenever I have a little disposable income. Given the quality of these I would definitely consider purchasing another one of these in black for every day use. I find it hard to find eyeliners that don't smudge throughout the day and it seems that these do not so I would be happy to spend my money on another.

What I would like to know is where was this eyeliner when I was going through my goth phase at 15 when by the time I got home from school my makeup was running down my cheeks thanks to the rain?!

On a more serious note -I would say if you're a high end makeup lover and a supporter of Marc Jacobs- these are really excellent quality eyeliners that are worth investing in. They have an excellent formula, are totally waterproof, provide excellent colour payoff that I believe will work well on any skin tone, and they're extremely long lasting. They claim to last for 12 hours but 18 hours later, here I am and everything is still in tact. The brown one I can imagine being really great for soft bridal looks as they are so elegant and don't run. If you can't afford these but still really want one I checked depop and a few people are selling them second hand for cheaper! I would love to go back and create another eye look with the pink and try and come up with something really fun.

I had so much fun with my FIRST ever VoxBox and I hope I get the chance to do this again! I really pushed myself to do well with this makeup and I hope you guys like it.

Thanks for reading!
-Laura x

1 comment:

  1. That is such a beautiful look you created I absolutely love the highliners from Marc Jacobs beauty. I really can't get enough of them. I love your makeup style. Absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete